Tuesday 10 May 2016

Work diary & Progression - Documentrary photography - Christmas

Evaluation:

The task was for us to photograph a topic of our choice over our Christmas break, I chose to focus on Christmas itself. I portrayed these images in a photo documentary. I found it hard to photograph things, as there was mainly decorations and lights around, and that was it. Therefore I believe many of my images are quite similar, however they are meant to link as a series, so I have achieved this fully. 

A photograph I liked:


I like this image as the focus from my camera is on the Christmas tree ornament. Christmas trees are one of the main symbols/landmarks of Christmas, therefore I believe this works effectively within my documentary. Moreover, the bright colours of reds, and greens and commonly known festive colours, which again in themselves portray Christmas, and the Christmas spirit. 


A photograph I did not like:


I do not like the above image as the lights are slightly blurry, and not crisp. Although, you can link the decorative lights to Christmas, this is not too obvious and therefore I wouldn't say it completely elicits what I want it to. If I was to re shoot this image again I would ensure my camera settings were correct in order to avoid the blur. To do this I should make my aperture higher, and make my shutter speed quicker. 

Progression:

If I was to re shoot again I would take a more abstract approach towards Christmas, and not focus on obvious, stand-out objects like decorations. I would focus more on the 'family' aspects and 'unity'. Although, I do believe some of my images of decorations were effective, and if I was to re shoot these I would perhaps choose a narrower depth of field, in order to vary my techniques. 




No comments:

Post a Comment